180 people suffered mushroom poisoning last year
13:17 | 14.09.2022 Category: Social
Chisinau, 14 Sep. /MOLDPRES/- 180 people, including 41 children, suffered mushroom poisoning last year.
Head of the Information and Communication Service of the National Agency for Public Health (ANSP) Olesea Croitor said that most cases were caused by the consumption of canned or frozen mushrooms, picked from gardens, forests or purchased from traders and prepared in domestic conditions.
"Most cases were registered in Orhei, Edineț, Florești, Călăraşi and Ungheni districts. Many people rely on incorrect signs to identify poisonous mushrooms. We need to know that the surest method to distinguish them is their botanical characteristics", said Olesea Croitor.
To avoid mushroom poisoning, it is not recommended to buy fresh or dried mushrooms at street vendors or to buy canned mushrooms prepared at home. Likewise, it is not recommended to pick mushrooms from places where pesticides and herbicides have been administered. Avoid collecting unknown or old mushrooms with larvae; to taste mushrooms during harvesting; prepare the mushrooms a day or more after they have been picked. They should not be kept warm, as they are easily perishable.