Former deputy mayor challenges Chisinau mayor to public debate
Former deputy mayor of Chișinău municipality Irina Gutnic is challenging capital’s mayor Ion Ceban to a public debate and is making serious accusations regarding alleged illegalities within the municipal administration. Gutnic has brought serious accusations against mayor Ion Ceban, targeting alleged administrative illegalities, “money laundering” schemes, hirings made in violation of legal provisions, and supposed links between the mayor and the Russian Federation.
“I challenge Ion Ceban to come out with me in a public debate and for us to look each other in the eye. And then the citizens can see who is lying and who is not. (...) I challenge Ion Ceban to come to a TV show and tell me when he looked me in the eye and saw the reasons for my resignation. I had two brief discussions throughout Monday, through his intermediaries, who tried to intimidate me into voluntarily submitting my resignation from the position of deputy mayor. I was intimidated from 7:00 a.m. to go to Apa-Canal, under the pretext that there it would be best for me, that there would be no pressure, no blackmail, and I would just sit quietly there,” Irina Gutnic said on Pro TV Chișinău.
Irina Gutnic said that several decisions of the Municipal Commission for Exceptional Situations were allegedly adopted without legal grounds and that the officials involved risked sanctions for signing them.
“I will not leave anything out. But today I can give one example. Previously, together with the team, we were liable to be held administratively accountable because we jointly signed a decision of the Commission for Exceptional Situations, when it was about the General Directorate of Education, and we were all supposed to be suspended from office. There was a big fuss that it was a political order. No, it was not a political order. The Commission for Emergency Situations at the municipal level does not have the competence to adopt decisions when a state of emergency has not been declared at the national level. But in order to fulfill his electoral cravings and not only that, we are forced to adopt certain decisions which, as I said, go beyond the limits of legality,” the former deputy mayor said.
The former deputy mayor also referred to an emergency meeting at which interventions by the Chișinău City Hall in the town of Durlești were allegedly discussed. Municipal teams were sent to repair roads, remove waste, and clean the streets on the basis of a decision she considers illegal.
Irina Gutnic accused Ion Ceban of alleged links with the Russian Federation, referring to a single detail which, according to her, she will make public at the right time. Irina Gutnic stated that she will later come back with additional information and evidence, emphasizing that she does not intend to “blow up” the political scene, but to present the truth and clarify all the accusations she is making.
“I know how things unfold at City Hall, how the mayor dictates and how every employee is afraid to confront him. When I said that Mr. Ceban represents a danger, that is indeed the case. Regarding relations with the Russian Federation, we will come back with more details, but given Axerov’s presence in Chișinău City Hall, things speak for themselves. He appears in the conviction decision of Dan Cuclescu in the treason case. The question arises as to why the neighboring state imposed an entry ban on him, there is evidence, while the Republic of Moldova cannot find evidence in relation to a citizen of its own country,” Gutnic said.
The former deputy mayor also made other accusations regarding the activity of the municipal administration and its relationship with the Movement Alternative National (MAN) party. According to Irina Gutnic, the majority of City Hall employees are MAN members. She also spoke about the existence of individuals employed under service provision contracts, about whom she claims are working in violation of legal provisions. So far, the mayor of Chișinău municipality has not publicly commented on the accusations made by his former colleague in the municipal administration.
Irina Gutnic announced that on Thursday, May 14, she filed a complaint with the National Anticorruption Center regarding an alleged abuse of power offense which, according to her, was committed by Ion Ceban in the process of her dismissal from office. The former deputy mayor claims that the decision to dismiss her was taken in violation of legal provisions and is requesting that the circumstances be investigated by the competent authorities.
Parliament convened in 30 sessions, passed 177 normative acts in first ordinary session of this year
Explosion in Crocmaz. Foreign Ministry condemns incident and recalls Ambassador of the Republic of Moldova to Moscow for consultations
Ambassador: Moldova and Ukraine achieved unprecedented progress in European integration
President about Crocmaz explosion: Russia - one waging war of aggression in Ukraine and bears full responsibility for danger brought to our people’s homes
Ukraine and Moldova mark 35 years of independence
Joseph Burkhalter confirmed by U.S. Senate as next ambassador to Moldova
PHOTO // Moldova and Ukraine strengthen customs cooperation for border security and European integration
VIDEO // Over 450 town halls decided to merge voluntarily and will receive investment funds
Deputy Prime Minister at Diaspora Forum: Each of you is an ambassador of our country and contributes to promoting image of Moldova
Prime Minister’s message to diaspora citizens: I encourage you to contribute to development of Moldova
Speaker at Diaspora Forum: Moldova shows through its citizens at home and abroad that it deserves to become part of great European family
Diaspora Forum held in Chișinău
People’s Assembly of Gagauzia must have full mandate
Disciplinary sanctions after Taliban delegation’s visit to the Republic of Moldova
Government State Secretary for Reintegration meets Ambassador of Czech Republic to Moldova
Braniște commune, Râșcani district invests in clean water and waste management with residents' involvement
Parliament strengthens dialogue with civil society: Over 20 draft laws subjected to public consultations
VIDEO // Defence Minister about crash of aircraft in Talmaza: Russia's hostile activities against Ukraine also endanger Moldova
Chronicle of INDEPENDENCE // We stood in front of Soviet tanks – memories of day that proved generation’s courage
PHOTO // Initial police findings: aircraft crashed in Talmaza shows characteristics similar to drone-missile
VIDEO // UPDATE // Explosion near Talmaza
President about cooperation with US: We have very good relations, important projects, including in energy sector
Moldova to be ready to join EU by 2030
VIDEO // Around 500 town halls adopted voluntary amalgamation decisions
President about Russia’s “second target”: Kremlin wants to control Moldova in order to use it against Ukraine
Moldova and UN to continue cooperation for sustainable development and support of reforms
Foreign Ministry condemns violation of airspace of the Republic of Moldova: Such incidents unacceptable
President about measures to stop Russian drones and aggression: Support Ukraine
Mayors from Central Region of country participated in consultations on investments for amalgamated localities
VIDEO // Deputy Prime Minister: Moldova turning page on CIS and moving decisively toward peaceful, promising and prosperous future within great European family