en

 

Economy
22 May, 2026 / 19:16
/ 24 February, 2026

Moldovan energy minister, representative of Investment Fund that is to take over Lukoil’s assets discuss in Washington

Energy Minister Dorin Junghietu has held talks in Washington with a representative of the investment fund, Carlyle Group Inc., which is to take over Lukoil’s assets.

According to the Energy Ministry, the discussions focused on Carlyle Group’s transaction to acquire the assets of Lukoil International GmbH (LIG) and on further development plans for these assets.

The minister reiterated the position of Moldova’s government, which welcomes the company’s intention to take over the entire LIG business in the region through a specialized oil company. Junghietu noted that the cabinet was closely monitoring the progress of the approval process for this transaction by the OFAC Office of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

The Carlyle Group Inc. investment fund manages assets worth over 400 billion US dollars worldwide, including oil and gas assets in Europe.

During his visit to Washington, the energy minister also held meetings with representatives of the World Bank Group, during which the sides discussed the progress and challenges related to projects financed in Moldova, the Vulcanesti–Chisinau Energy Independence Line, the project to build high-efficiency cogeneration capacity based on gas-fired internal combustion engines (55 MW), as well as options of financing and implementation of a new gas-fired cogeneration plant of 250 MW (electric) and 180 MW (thermal).

The minister reiterated the strategic importance of these projects and the World Bank representatives reconfirmed their support and commitment to identifying the most optimal and affordable solutions for continuing the projects.

Energy Minister Dorin Junghietu is paying a working visit to the United States of America on February 23-25, to participate in the Transatlantic Gas Security Summit. The visit is taking place at an invitation by Energy Secretary Chris Wright and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum.

 


 
Latest News
/ 4 days ago

Moldovan Economic Development Ministry launches governmental programme “We Succeed,” to create simpler, more competitive business environment

/ 4 days ago

Around 19 thousand tons of gasoline and diesel imported last week into Moldova

/ 6 days ago

PHOTO // Spring Wine Vernissage in Chișinău brings together 66 wineries and over 500 wines

/ 7 days ago

Moldovan authorities seek stricter rules against illegal constructions

/ 7 days ago

Moldova, Ukraine strengthen energy cooperation, set priorities for preparing for next cold season

/ 7 days ago

Republic of Moldova - EU investment conference scheduled for 4 June to be opened by President, European Commissioner and Prime Minister

/ 7 days ago

Goods exports up by 10 percent in first three months of 2026: EU stays main market for Moldovan products

/ 14 May, 2026

National Bank of Moldova: annual inflation rate to follow upward trend in 2026, afterwards to decline

/ 14 May, 2026

Energy minister Athens says Moldova undergoing major transformation of its energy system

/ 14 May, 2026

Moldova and Ukraine initialed new sanitary-veterinary certificates for poultry meat and feed

/ 13 May, 2026

Moldova continues to increase renewable energy generation capacity, with solar power leading way

/ 13 May, 2026

Moldovan economic development minister says inflation driven by external developments, especially conflict in Middle East

/ 13 May, 2026

Energization of Vulcanesti–Chisinau power line might take place in next June

/ 13 May, 2026

New investment projects in Moldova