Former Democrat Leader Vladimir Plahotniuc refuses to testify in Kuliok case
Former Democratic Party leader Vladimir Plahotniuc has refused to testify in Kuliok case. He showed up today at the Supreme Court of Justice (SCJ) hearing, where he was supposed to be heard as a witness.
The hearing was held behind closed doors. Afterwards, Lucian Rogac, Vladimir Plahotniuc’s lawyer, announced that the former Democrat leader exercised his right not to testify in this case, as he is involved in a related case, which is currently under criminal investigation.
“His health condition did not allow Vladimir Plahotniuc to be escorted, as confirmed by the prison doctor, including through a medical certificate. Vladimir Plahotniuc exercised his right to refuse to testify. This does not mean that he will not be summoned again later,” said Lucian Rogac.
For his part, prosecutor in the case Petru Iarmaliuc stressed that all the evidence in the case is to be examined.
“All discussions and material evidence regarding the financing of the PSRM will be examined. In this regard, during the judicial debates, the prosecution will present its position on what Igor Dodon is alleged to have requested and accepted from Vladimir Plahotniuc. All witness statements are to be examined and assessed with reference to the evidence,” the prosecutor said.
Igor Dodon also appeared at today’s court hearing. He did not comment on Vladimir Plahotniuc’s refusal to testify.
The SCJ has approved the hearing of 36 witnesses out of the 62 proposed by former President Igor Dodon in Kuliok case, in which he is being tried for bribery. Previously, the SCJ also approved the hearing of 11 witnesses proposed by the prosecutors, including former Democrat Vlad Plahotniuc, Serghei Iaralov, former Parliament Speaker Adrian Candu, former Prime Minister Pavel Filip, former Justice Minister Vladimir Cebotari and PAS MP Lilian Carp.
Among the defense witnesses in this case are: Ion Ceban, Artur Gumeniuc, Maxim Lebedinschi, Vasile Șova, Aureliu Ciocoi, Adrian Lebedinschi, Petru Burduja, Ghenadie Mitriuc, Zinaida Greceanîi, Vlad Batrîncea, Corneliu Furculiță, Vladimir Țurcan, Gaic Vartanean, Grigore Uzun and Pavel Voicu.
Kuliok case was resumed in late November 2025, after the panel of judges was changed and the trial practically started from scratch. During the previous proceedings, the court heard 15 witnesses for the prosecution and examined numerous documents and reports.
The criminal investigation in the case known as Kuliok was resumed on May 18, 2022, after the Chișinău Court of Appeal overturned the decision of the Chișinău Court on refusing to initiate criminal proceedings against former President Igor Dodon.
The case is based on a video recording from June 2019, in which Igor Dodon appears alongside Vladimir Plahotniuc and Serghei Iaralov. Previously, Igor Dodon pleaded not guilty and reiterated that the footage was allegedly fabricated.
Good news for elderly people of Moldova: pensions to increase in next spring
Moldovan MPs approve major changes to Education Code
Moldovan Education Ministry launches campaign inviting pupils to write messages of solidarity to children of Ukraine
Hearing of former leader of Moldovan Democratic Party in bank fraud file postponed after he claims illness
Fallen soldiers of Afghan war commemorated in Parliament
Over 500 refugee children from Ukraine learn Romanian for free in schools of Moldova
VIDEO // Fine of up to 600 lei for using phone while driving in Moldova; police step up control actions
Former leader of Moldovan Democratic Party does not come court hearing in Kuliok file; court rules to forcibly bring him
Culture minister calls for calm in conflict over church in central Moldova settlement
Reorganized schools, support classes, allowances for young teachers: what new Education Code of Moldova stipulates
Comrat State University celebrates 35 years since founding
Moldova and Ukraine update technical-military cooperation agreement
Public Institution State Protected Natural Areas to be set up in Moldova
Constantin Țuțu case reaches Court of Appeal: prosecution seeks asset seizures and lengthy prison terms
All consumers affected by 15–16 February glaze ice reconnected to power grid
Books donated as part of 2025 edition of Library under Christmas Tree campaign reached libraries across country
Moldova hosts meeting of Council of Europe Congress Bureau
February 16, 1898: BTA Releases its First Bulletin
New opportunities for entrepreneurs from Moldova, Ukraine: business school to be opened in Chisinau
Discover Moldova with #MOLDPRES: Lalova plums – authentic tradition, unique taste, international recognition
MOLDPRES INTERVIEW // Director of South Regional Development Agency says Agency creating better living conditions, easier life for thousands of residents
Moldova's State Chancellery launches process of developing new open governance action plan
Possibilities for expanding Latvian investments in Moldova discussed at government
Eurasian wren named Bird of Year 2026 in Moldova
WEATHER // Orange, yellow warning for heavy snow, strong winds in Moldova
Road Fund's report examined at meeting of Road Fund Council, chaired by Moldovan PM
BTA: Bulgarian News Agency Marks Path From Telegraph to AI Era
PHOTO // CNAS director: We have proven we are strong institution, able to face challenges
National Social Insurance House marks 25 years of activity
Electoral period begins for new local elections and local referendum on 17 May