Parliamentary hearings held after incident in Cahul; Moldovan MPs come up with recommendations to strengthen security in military units
The head of the parliamentary commission for national security, defence and public order, Lilian Carp, today presented details on the incident that had occurred at a military unit in Cahul, where a 16-year-old teenager died after being accidentally shot.
According to the lawmaker, preliminary conclusions show that the contract serviceman involved in the incident allegedly infringed more safety regulations.
He specified that the circumstances in which the weapon had been handled were being examined, as well as whether internal security procedures had been followed.
“He violated the rules for using the weapon. He was not allowed to take out the weapon. He took it out, disassembled it, presented it and when he pulled the trigger the incident occurred,” he said.
The MP also referred to the initial reaction of the medical teams, who had assumed a cardiac arrest, since the wound did not show obvious signs of bleeding.
“In very rare cases, the bullet can have an internal trajectory without visible external bleeding, which initially led to the hypothesis of a heart attack,” Carp noted.
He added that the Defence Ministry had publicly communicated the cause of death after the completion of the forensic examination, and that the initial information which appeared was not official.
Following the hearings, MPs formulated recommendations on strengthening security in military units and improving the control of visitors’ access.
“There are areas designated for visits, but there is no sufficiently strict control over the persons entering military units,” Lilian Carp said.
The lawmaker specified that an inquiry commission is to present the final conclusions of the investigation, after which decisions will be taken regarding the persons responsible.
On 10 May, a 16-year-old minor died in a military unit in Cahul. The police were notified after the improper handling of a firearm had led to the injury of a serviceman and the death of a minor. According to the police, a 20-year-old contract serviceman allegedly mishandled a Glock-type weapon while he was together with a 16-year-old minor who was visiting another 18-year-old conscript.
As a result of the accidental shot, the 18-year-old conscript was wounded and transported urgently to hospital. As for the 16-year-old minor, it was initially announced that he went into shock immediately after the incident and lost consciousness. The General Police Inspectorate later informed that law enforcement officers had been informed by the forensic doctor who examined the minor’s body that he had been pierced by the same bullet that wounded the conscript.
PHOTO // Two more courtyards modernized under European Courtyard Program inaugurated in Chișinău
International Day of Families to be marked on Saturday with festival at Botanical Garden in Chișinău
Diaspora Moldovans can find jobs in Moldova; online career fair returns for its second edition
Public irrigation systems from two settlements of Moldova to be rehabilitated under Integrated Agriculture and Irrigation Development Programme
PHOTO // Journalists from 90 countries create global communication network within programme in Beijing dedicated to media interconnectivity
Moldovan PM conveys message to all families on International Day of Families
DOC // Anti-plagiarism standards in universities, published in Moldova's Official Journal: new rules for bachelor’s, master’s theses
Moldovan PM conveys message on International Day of Families
Moldova and Czech Republic deepen defense partnership
PHOTO // Moldova to receive 60 million euros to modernize irrigation systems
Moldovan Judges' Evaluation Commission completes evaluation of all judges with leadership positions
Moldovan parliamentary commission for national security and defense to consider case of minor dead in military unit in Cahul
Parliament terminates another agreement with CIS
Drivers with vehicles registered abroad to be fined more easily in Moldova
Moldovan green energy projects can receive funding of one million dollars
Valeriu Chiveri: Transnistrian settlement and European integration must be treated as two distinct processes
Fines and license plates seized for drivers with non‑compliant vehicles
Moldova relies on Germany’s support to speed up European integration
National Public Health Agency says risk of Bundibugyo virus' spread stays low for Moldova
President begins visit to Strasbourg
BTA: Ahead of Berlin Visit, Bulgarian PM Vows Spending Restraint
Moldovan deputy PM says more investment agreements to be announced at Moldova–EU investment conference
Promo-LEX organization of Moldova reports serious violations in case of a young detainee on left bank of Dniester
ARMENPRESS: Authorities investigate alleged assassination plot against Pashinyan after video surfaces showing armed suspects issuing threats
Moldovan Economic Development Ministry launches governmental programme “We Succeed,” to create simpler, more competitive business environment
Vlad Turcanu resigns as head of Teleradio-Moldova Company amid Eurovision 2026 scandal: “The vote cast is my responsibility”
International Museum Day marked in Moldova with special cultural programmes
MOLDPRES INTERVIEW // Director Lucia Țurcan: Center of Excellence in Construction aligns with European standards – ERASMUS+ projects, modern technologies and more practical training for students
Germany reconfirms support for European path of Moldova
Speaker at meeting with Germany’s Minister of State for Europe: Your support is very important for our EU accession process